1. Visit the library often
2. Take cues from the bookstore
3. Organize books strategically
4. Keep it varied
5. Make literacy-related activities portable
6. Add the fun
- Hang a bulletin board with images of your child's favorite characters or photos of your child reading and writing.
- Designate a shelf for each family member's own books. Your child can decorate and arrange his area to make it his own.
- Create a "reading nook" in your home, like a beanbag chair, hammock or pillow-covered corner of the house.
- Use birthdays and holidays as excuses to give literacy-related gifts like personalized bookmarks, bookplate stickers or pocket notebooks.